Alberto Testa is a Criminologist, an internationally recognised Far Right Expert and Author. He is a currently a Professor of Applied Criminology at the University of West London- UK, a Certified Forensic Interviewer (CFI-CISA, USA) and Registered Security Consultant (ASC-RISC). He is also a specialist in Applied Behaviour Analysis aiming to detect deception. As a Behavioural Scientist, Alberto Testa is interested in the role that unconscious processes play in individuals’ decisions and (deviant) behaviours.
Alberto Testa specialises in Far Right Terrorism & Far Right Hooliganism. In all his studies, Dr Testa uses empirical evidence ; so evidence validated by direct experience from the “field”. The aim is to understand the way each groups studied, and individuals belonging to it, see the world. So speaking and interacting with participants is crucial. Albeit this approach is very challenging; it is crucial as it provided in depth and current analyses.
- Far Right, White Jihad, Terrorism & Policing
- Hate Crime – Antisemitism & Islamophobia
- Far Right Football Hooliganism
- Corruption (Italy)
- Sport Criminology : Mafia- Football, Islamophobia, Antisemitism and Racism in Football
Current Research Projects
An Ethnography of Online (Far Right) “Siege Mentality” Groups
White Jihad ,Terrorism and the Far Right in Europe
Through the Magnifying Glass: Mapping Extremism in the Bosnian Football Terraces: Extremists use the European Football stadia to recruit members, showcase their propaganda and coordinate (international) action. The purpose of this research is to explore the relationship between football hooliganism and violent extremism in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH). This research will contribute to the Bosnia & Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI) Programme (implemented by the International Organization for Migration -United Nations, funded and closely coordinated with the U.S. Agency for International Development -USAID) aiming to reduce the threat of violent extremism in BiH and to counter extremist efforts to deepen or exploit communal tensions. Research Team Leader: Prof. Alberto Testa.
Countering the Far Right Extremism: Exploring the perspective of religious communities and community organisations in the UK: The rising of the Far Right threat requires the re-conceptualisation of extremism and the review of the existing countering extremism policies.This study investigates how the UK faith communities perceive the rise of Far Right extremism and what should be the UK government strategic/policy response. Project led by Mr. Jaffer A.Mirza; Senior Researcher and consultant: Prof. Alberto Testa. The study is funded by the Centre for Academic Shia Studies- Al Khoei Foundation.
Recent Media Contributions (for the full list…. )
Alberto Testa; Daily Record investigation: Far-right activist sent to Scotland to infiltrate army as veterans targeted by race hate groups (January, 2020). The Interview
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Tom Swarbrick; Topic : Comments on Sadiq Khan’s article “Britain should be leading the fight against extremism” (September 2019). The interview
Alberto Testa; BBC investigation on Antisemitism in the UK Universities: ” The students fighting back against anti-Semitism” (July 2019)
- Expert participant at the European Commission Radicalisation Awareness Network (RAN);
- UK representative at the Institute for National and International Security (INIS). INIS is an International think thank for Intelligence, National and International Security, Defense and Counter-Terrorism.
- Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the SportComLab- Centre for Research on Sports Communication , Department Of Education Science, at the “Alma Mater Studiorum”-Bologna University (Italy)
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice & Criminology