Dr Alberto Testa is an Applied Criminologist & Associate Professor in Criminology (Research) at the University of West London, UK; Dr Testa is specialised in Applied Behaviour Analysis aiming to detect Deception and He is a Certified Forensic Interviewer (CFI-CISA, USA).
Dr Testa is internationally recognised as expert on Far-Right Radicalisation and Terrorism, and in sport on the link Far-Right Hooliganism. As a Behavioural Scientist, He is interested in the role that unconscious processes play in individuals’ decisions and (deviant) behaviours.
In all his studies, Dr Testa uses empirical evidence ; so evidence validated by direct experience and observation . The aim is to ‘get inside’ the way each social group and individuals belonging to it see the world. Speaking and interacting with participants is crucial.
- Far-Right: Radicalisation & De-Radicalisation
- White Jihad, Terrorism & Policing
- Far-Right, Ultras Violence and Hooliganism
- Sport Criminology : Mafia- Football, Islamophobia, Antisemitism and Racism in Football
- White Jihad , Terrorism and the Far Right in Europe: My research network is composed by several European research institutions (UK, Russia, Greece, Balkans, Ukraine, Italy); all researchers have direct experience in terms of Observation and direct access to the groups studied.This project will also focus on processes of radicalisation within the major European football terraces and issues of prevention, and policing.
2. Through the Magnifying Glass: Mapping Extremism in the Bosnian Football Terraces: Extremists use the European Football stadia to recruit members, showcase their propaganda and coordinate (international) action. The purpose of this research is to explore the relationship between football hooliganism and violent extremism in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH). This research will contribute to the Bosnia & Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI) Programme (implemented by the International Organization for Migration -United Nations, funded and closely coordinated with the U.S. Agency for International Development -USAID) aiming to reduce the threat of violent extremism in BiH and to counter extremist efforts to deepen or exploit communal tensions. Research Team Leader: Prof. Alberto Testa.
3. Countering the Far-right Extremism: Exploring the perspective of religious communities and community organisations in the UK: The rising far-right threats require the re-conceptualisation of extremism and the review of the existing countering extremism policies.This study investigates how the UK faith communities perceive the rise of Far-Right extremism and what should be the UK government strategic/policy response. Project led by Mr. Jaffer A.Mirza; Senior Researcher and consultant: Prof. Alberto Testa. The study is funded by the Centre for Academic Shia Studies- Al Khoei Foundation.
- Research Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI); UK independent think tank engaged in cutting edge defence and security research;
- Expert participant at the Radicalisation Awareness Network; Organisation set up by the European Commission as an EU-wide umbrella network of practitioners engaged to prevent and counter radicalisation to violent extremism;
- Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the SportComLab- Centre for Research on Sports Communication , Department Of Education Science, at the “Alma Mater Studiorum”-Bologna University (Italy)
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice & Criminology
Recent media contributions (for the full list…. )
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Andrew Castle; Topic :Comments on “Cancel Brexit’ petition woman receives death threats” (March 2019)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Nick Ferrari; Topic :Comments on “Systemic Islamophobia’ fuels terror attacks, say Muslim leaders” (March 2019)
Alberto Testa; SKY NEWS; Understanding the Far-Right Terrorist “Mind”. Topic: Christchurch shootings: 49 dead in New Zealand mosque attacks (March 2019)
Alberto Testa; Il Fatto Quotidiano; Interview in Italian about the psychological profile of Brenton Tarrant and militants of “Siege/Resistance” mentality groups: Strage Nuova Zelanda, “il killer Tarrant suprematista bianco come Breivik. Analogie tra loro e terroristi islamici”(March 2019)
Alberto Testa; TalkRadio show with George Galloway ; Topic: Far-Right radicalisation and risk of Lone Wolf terrorism in U.K. (January 2019)
Alberto Testa; Safety & Security International: “Battling the Boneheads“. S&SI is the leading publication for the Counter-Terror and public safety communities; its audience comprises Security practitioners, policy-makers and professionals worldwide (December 2018)