Alberto Testa is a criminologist and an internationally recognised far-right expert focusing also on far-right hooliganism.
Alberto is a currently a Professor of Applied Criminology, a full member of the Association of British Investigators. He is also a specialist in applied behaviour analysis (deception) forensic interviewing and cyber intelligence analysis.
As an Ethnographer, Alberto’ s work focuses on individuals in their own environment using evidence validated by direct experience from the “field”. The aim is to understand the way each group studied, and individuals belonging to it, see the world. So speaking and interacting with participants is crucial. Albeit this approach is very challenging, it makes Alberto’s work unique as it provides in depth and current analyses.
- Far-Right Extremism, Terrorism
- Hate Crimes – Antisemitism & Islamophobia
- (Far-Right) Football Hooliganism, Ultras
- Psychological Anthropology,
- Alberto Testa; The New York Times: London Police Officer Convicted of Membership in Neo-Nazi Group Ultras (April, 2021).
- Alberto Testa; Politiken (leading Danish daily broadsheet newspaper): Ultras and Riots in Italy (November, 2020).
- Alberto Testa; Daily Record investigation: Sinister Nazi group hide blades behind stickers in Scotland-wide horror hate campaign (October, 2020).
- Alberto Testa; LBC Radio show with Andrew Castle: Glasgow stabbings & Far-Right propaganda (June 2020).
- Alberto Testa; SKY NEWS: English Premier League club Burnley’s condemnation of a “White Lives Matter” banner that flew over the Etihad Stadium (June 2020).
- Alberto Testa; LBC Radio show with Ian Payne: Trafalgar Square Protests hijacked by groups intent on “creating chaos,” says Professor of Criminology (June 2020). Video
- Alberto Testa; Daily Record investigation: Satanic Neo-Nazi group which advocates human sacrifice and rape is operating in Scotland. (May 2020)
- Alberto Testa; LBC Radio News: Comment on the Hanau -Germany- shooting (February 2020)
For Media contributions
Mobile n: +44(0)7585448201
Current Research Projects
- Guest editor for the research collection Sport radicalisation and violent extremism for Frontiers. (2021)
- An Ethnography of Online Far-Right extremism
- White Jihad ,Terrorism and the Far-Right in Europe
- Through the Magnifying Glass: Mapping Extremism in the Bosnian Football Terraces. This research will contribute to the Bosnia & Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI) Programme (implemented by the International Organization for Migration -United Nations, funded and closely coordinated with the U.S. Agency for International Development -USAID) aiming to reduce the threat of violent extremism in BiH and to counter extremist efforts to deepen or exploit communal tensions.
- Fellowship of the Royal Anthropological Institute;
- Expert participant at the European Commission Radicalisation Awareness Network (RAN);
- UK representative at the Institute for National and International Security (INIS). INIS is an International think thank for Intelligence, National and International Security, Defense and Counter-Terrorism;
- Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the SportComLab- Centre for Research on Sports Communication, Department Of Education Science, at the “Alma Mater Studiorum”-Bologna University (Italy);
- Co-Editor of the Security Science Journal.