I am a Behavioural Sociologist (Deviance & Crime) and Associate Professor in Criminology (Research) at the University of West London, UK .I have achieved Certified Sociological Practitioner status (C.S.P.), which is granted by the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology (AACS) and recognized by the USA Commission on the Accreditation of Programs in Applied and Clinical Sociology (CAPACS) and the American Sociological Association. I am also affiliate member of the Psychology Coalition at the United Nations (PCUN).
I am internationally recognised as expert on the European Far-Right extremism and violence and in sport on Hooliganism, crowd violence, prevention and policing. As a Behavioural sociologist, I am interested in the role that unconscious processes play in individuals’ decisions and (deviant) behaviours. I am also specialised in Applied Behaviour Analysis and Forensic Interviewing aiming to assess Deception and Credibility.
In all my studies, I use empirical evidence ; so evidence validated by direct experience and observation . My aim is to ‘get inside’ the way each social group and individuals belonging to it see the world. Speaking and interacting with participants is crucial for me.
- European Far-Right: Neo-Fascism & Neo-Nazi Activism and violence
- Hooliganism, Ultras & violence and the Far-Right, Policing and Prevention
- White Jihad, Policing and Counter-Radicalisation
I have also built an international reputation as an authority in the following research areas: Italian Society (Corruption and Mafia) and the Sociology of Sport (Islamophobia/Racism).
I am currently focusing on the issue of Mafia, Football and Match-fixing.
1. White Jihad and the Far Right in Europe: My research network is composed by several European research institutions (UK, Russia, Greece, Balkans, Ukraine, Italy); all researchers have direct experience in terms of Observation and direct access to the groups studied.This project will also focus on processes of radicalisation within the major European football terraces and issues of prevention, and policing.
2. Football, Corruption and the Mafia: This important study explores the intricate relationships between politics, business, sport and organised crime in Italy and Europe.
3. ENABLE: in collaboration with national police forces, aims to prevent and tackle football spectators’ violence (Hooliganism). ENABLE is led by Professor Clifford Stott; Alberto Testa is member of the scientific committee and Director of the ENABLE Italy
4. BRISWA (the Ball Rolls In the Same Way for All):I work as an expert in the steering group of the European Union -funded project BRISWA, a project co-financed under the E+ programme (EAC/A04/2015). The project aims to study Racism in football and how it manifests (recent trends), to assess police and makers interventions (good practice) and to provide policy recommendations to stakeholders.
- Research Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI); UK independent think tank engaged in cutting edge defence and security research
- Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the SportComLab- Centre for Research on Sports Communication , Department Of Education Science, at the “Alma Mater Studiorum”-Bologna University (Italy)
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice & Criminology
- External Examiner for the Applied Sociology programme -BA (Hons) ; University of Suffolk (UK) & for the Master (MA) Sociology, Social Policy and Crime; University of Bradford (UK)
- Corruption, Mafia Power and Italian Soccer . This is a unique study which explores the intricate relationships between politics, business, soccer and mafias in Italy (and Europe).
- Sport in Islam and in Muslim Communities. Selected by the Olympic Studies Center to be included in the Olympic World Library catalogue
Recent media contributions (for the full list…. )
Alberto Testa ; DAILY STAR: “Far right and football ultras UNITE as Europe faces ‘White Jihadi’ UPRISING, expert warns” (June 2018)
Alberto Testa ; DANISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION ( Interviewed by Tom Carsten): “The Far-Right and the European Football Terraces”(June 2018)
Alberto Testa ; DAILY MAIL interviewed by Ian Herbert : “Thuggish world of Roma’s Ultras: Black uniforms, belts tied to wrists and their calling card is stabbing victims in the buttocks… meet the Fedayn” . (April 2018)
Alberto Testa; BBC RADIO 5 LIVE show with Nicky Campbell; Topic : Far Right in the European football terrace and “Two AS Roma team ultras arrested on suspicion of attempted murder of Liverpool fan fighting for life after being hit by belt” (April 2018)
Alberto Testa; TALKRADIO show with James Whale; Topic : Comments on the Italian Elections and the success of the populist Far-Right ‘Lega’ party and its leader Matteo Salvini (March 2018)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Nick Ferrari; Topic : Comments on Mark Rowley ( head of UK counter-terrorism policing) on far-right terrorism and on How important it is to acknowledge the rise of far-right violence (February 2018)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Andrew Pierce; Topic : UK Far-Right violence and radicalisation; underestimated? (February 2018)
Alberto Testa; CNN live with Amanda Davies; Topic : Antisemitism and Football; Video clip from the programme (October 2017)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with John Stapleton; Topic : UKIP leadership contest: “With this leadership election as a backdrop Suzanne Evans spoke to John Stapleton and Dr Alberto Testa, a sociologist specialising in the study of the far-right.Evans objected to sharing a stage with the academic, saying “Why have you got a professor on the far-right in a conversation about Ukip? Ukip is not a far-right organisation.” Video clip from the programme (September 2017)