I am a Behavioural Sociologist (Deviance & Crime) and Associate Professor in Criminology (Research) at the University of West London, UK .I have achieved Certified Sociological Practitioner status (C.S.P.), which is granted by the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology (AACS) and recognized by the USA Commission on the Accreditation of Programs in Applied and Clinical Sociology (CAPACS) and the American Sociological Association.
I am internationally recognised as expert on the European Far-Right extremism and violence and in sport on Hooliganism, crowd violence, prevention and policing. As a Behavioural sociologist, I am interested in the role that unconscious processes play in individuals’ decisions and (deviant) behaviours. In all my studies, I use empirical evidence ; so evidence validated by direct experience and observation . My aim is to ‘get inside’ the way each social group and individuals belonging to it see the world. Speaking and interacting with participants is crucial for me.
I have also built an international reputation as an authority in the following research areas: Italian Society (Corruption and Mafia) and the Sociology of Sport (Islamophobia/Racism).I am currently focusing on the issue of Mafia, Football and Match-fixing.
- European Far-Right: Neo-Fascism & Neo-Nazi Activism and violence
- Hooliganism, Ultras & violence, policing and prevention
- White Jihad, Counter-Radicalisation
- Italian Society (Corruption and Mafia)
1. The rise of the Extreme right in the European Football Terraces:
My research network is composed by several European research institutions (UK, Russia, Greece, Balkans, Ukraine, Italy). This project is highly topical considering the violence at the last European Cup in France and the forthcoming World Cup in Moscow (2018) and issues of prevention, and policing.
2. Football, Corruption and the Mafia: This important study explores the intricate relationships between politics, business, sport and organised crime in Italy and Europe.
3. ENABLE: in collaboration with national police forces, aims to prevent and tackle football spectators’ violence (Hooliganism). ENABLE is led by Professor Clifford Stott; Alberto Testa is member of the scientific committee and Director of the ENABLE Italy
4. BRISWA (the Ball Rolls In the Same Way for All)
I work as an expert in the steering group of the European Union -funded project BRISWA, a project co-financed under the E+ programme (EAC/A04/2015). The project aims to study Racism in football and how it manifests (recent trends), to assess police and makers interventions (good practice) and to provide policy recommendations to stakeholders.
- Research Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI); UK independent think tank engaged in cutting edge defence and security research
- Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the SportComLab- Centre for Research on Sports Communication , Department Of Education Science, at the “Alma Mater Studiorum”-Bologna University (Italy)
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice & Criminology
- External Examiner for the Applied Sociology programme -BA (Hons) ; University of Suffolk (UK) & for the Master (MA) Sociology, Social Policy and Crime; University of Bradford (UK)
- Corruption, Mafia Power and Italian Soccer . This is a unique study which explores the intricate relationships between politics, business, sport and organised crime in Italy (and in some European countries).
- Sport in Islam and in Muslim Communities. Selected by the Olympic Studies Center to be included in the Olympic World Library catalogue
Alberto Testa; TALKRADIO show with James Whale; Topic : Comments on the Italian Elections and the success of the populist Far-Right ‘Lega’ party and its leader Matteo Salvini (March 2018)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Nick Ferrari; Topic : Comments on Mark Rowley ( head of UK counter-terrorism policing) on far-right terrorism and on How important it is to acknowledge the rise of far-right violence (February 2018)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Andrew Pierce; Topic : UK Far-Right violence and radicalisation; underestimated? (February 2018)
Alberto Testa; CNN live with Amanda Davies; Topic : Antisemitism and Football; Video clip from the programme (October 2017)
Alberto Testa; ‘Lazio to wear image of Anne Frank on shirts after fans’ anti-Semitic slogans’ ; CNN by Aimee Lewis; Topic : Antisemitism and Football (October 2017)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with John Stapleton; Topic : UKIP leadership contest; Video clip from the programme (September 2017)
Alberto Testa took to the airwaves again over the weekend in an interview and phone-in with LBC journalist Tom Swarbrick about football hooliganism in the Euro 2016 finals. Watch a small clip from the program
Alberto Testa; THE VOICE OF AMERICA (the official external broadcast institution of the United States Government);Topic: Violence and Neo Nazism at the European Cup in France (June, 2016) Click for the Interview