Dr Alberto Testa is a Criminologist & Associate Professor in Criminology (Research) at the University of West London, UK and affiliate member of the Psychology Coalition at the United Nations (PCUN); Dr Testa is specialised in Applied Behaviour Analysis aiming to detect Deception and He is a Certified Forensic Interviewer (CFI-CISA, USA).
Dr Testa is internationally recognised as expert on Far-Right activism, radicalisation and violence (terrorism) and in sport on the link Far-Right Hooliganism. As a Behavioural Scientist, He is interested in the role that unconscious processes play in individuals’ decisions and (deviant) behaviours.
In all his studies, Dr Testa uses empirical evidence ; so evidence validated by direct experience and observation . The aim is to ‘get inside’ the way each social group and individuals belonging to it see the world. Speaking and interacting with participants is crucial.
- Far-Right: Radicalisation & De-Radicalisation
- White Jihad, Terrorism & Policing
- Far-Right, Ultras Violence and Hooliganism
Dr Testa has also built an international reputation as an authority in the following research areas: Italian Society (Corruption and Mafia) and the Sociology of Sport (Islamophobia/Racism).
1. White Jihad , Terrorism and the Far Right in Europe: My research network is composed by several European research institutions (UK, Russia, Greece, Balkans, Ukraine, Italy); all researchers have direct experience in terms of Observation and direct access to the groups studied.This project will also focus on processes of radicalisation within the major European football terraces and issues of prevention, and policing.
2. Football, Corruption and the Mafia: This important study explores the intricate relationships between politics, business, sport and organised crime in Italy and Europe.
3. ENABLE: in collaboration with national police forces, aims to prevent and tackle football spectators’ violence (Hooliganism). ENABLE is led by Professor Clifford Stott; Alberto Testa is member of the scientific committee and Director of the ENABLE Italy
4. BRISWA (the Ball Rolls In the Same Way for All):I work as an expert in the steering group of the European Union -funded project BRISWA, a project co-financed under the E+ programme (EAC/A04/2015). The project aims to study Racism in football and how it manifests (recent trends), to assess police and makers interventions (good practice) and to provide policy recommendations to stakeholders.
- Research Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI); UK independent think tank engaged in cutting edge defence and security research
- Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the SportComLab- Centre for Research on Sports Communication , Department Of Education Science, at the “Alma Mater Studiorum”-Bologna University (Italy)
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice & Criminology
Recent media contributions (for the full list…. )
Alberto Testa; SKY NEWS; Understanding the Far-Right Terrorist “Mind”. Topic: Christchurch shootings: 49 dead in New Zealand mosque attacks (March 2019)
Alberto Testa; LBC show with Nick Ferrari; Topic :Comments on “Systemic Islamophobia’ fuels terror attacks, say Muslim leaders” (March 2019)
Alberto Testa; Il Fatto Quotidiano; Interview in Italian about the psychological profile of Brenton Tarrant and militants of “Siege/Resistance” mentality groups: Strage Nuova Zelanda, “il killer Tarrant suprematista bianco come Breivik. Analogie tra loro e terroristi islamici”(March 2019)
Alberto Testa; TalkRadio show with George Galloway ; Topic: Far-Right radicalisation and risk of Lone Wolf terrorism in U.K. (January 2019)
Alberto Testa; Safety & Security International: “Battling the Boneheads“. S&SI is the leading publication for the Counter-Terror and public safety communities; its audience comprises Security practitioners, policy-makers and professionals worldwide (December 2018)